[LAU] Here we go again (slashdot)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat May 12 15:54:09 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 20:51, James Stone wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 05:31:11PM +0100, Folderol wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 May 2007 08:55:30 +0100
> >
> > James Stone <jamesmstone at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Better comments than usual I would say.
> > >
> > > The pymidichaos arp looks interesting. I actually downloaded it
> > > last night, before this article had been mentioned on slashdot!
> > >
> > > James
> >
> > I downloaded it but couldn't work out how to run it, nor could i find
> > any info :(
>
> You need virmidi installed.
>
> Just run it with
> python pymidichaos /dev/snd/midiC3D3 (or whatever your virmidi
> port is called) then route the alsa connect of the virmidi out to
> your synth of choice with

This is not your problem James, but perhaps you have a bit of info.

I modprobed virmidi, and now have 4 ports showing in Qjackctl for virmidi,
which are 80,81,82, and 83.

I now run. python pymidichaos /dev/snd/midiC3D3. I've no idea which of the 4
ports is referenced by this, as their is loads of stuff in /dev/midi.

Anyway. First I get a complaint that I need to install python-tk. I do that,
then I get the following, and am not sure where to go now.

Last login: Sat May 12 12:35:57 2007
djmons at debian:~$ cd Pymidichaos
djmons at debian:~/Pymidichaos$ python pymidichaos /dev/snd/midiC3D3
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pymidichaos", line 12, in ?
    from midi_functions import *
ImportError: No module named midi_functions
djmons at debian:~/Pymidichaos$

This is just a shot in the dark, if you might know what the problem is here,
otherwise I'll just pass on pymidichaos.

I'm not young anymore, and sometimes trying to resolve some problems is too
much hassle.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nigel.