[LAU] Re: Newbie, where should I start?

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Sun May 20 07:13:20 EDT 2007

Folderol:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm trying to setup a `proof of concept' sound processing system on my
>> machine, using Linux. The system should cater rock/metal bands. Now I need to
>> know where to start and what to look at. There's so much documentation and so
>> many software out there that I'm getting confused and don't know where to
>> start. I have around a month to set up the system, so as to give a
>> presentation and a live demo at a local community event.
>>
>> I generally prefer to know my theory properly before practically implementing,
>> so please tell me what background knowledge I should ideally have to
>> implement such a system.
>>
>> Any links, hints, pointers etc. very much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>>
>> P.S. I'm using Gentoo and have access to the pro-audio overlay. Also, since
>> this is just a proof of concept type project, I won't be spending on
>> hardware. I have a Sempron64 2500+ machine with 1GB of RAM and plenty of hard
>> disk space, although on 7200 rpm PATA. I think I can borrow a Creative SB
>> Live 5.1 sound card from my boss for the project.

As a start I suggest installing jack, ardour and all ladspa plugins
available.

You can also boot the dynebolic cd to check out various media software in
a quick way: http://www.dynebolic.org/

> To start off with, I would suggest you get 64studio. It will give you
> most, if not all, the packages you want as standard.
>
> I have it working very well on a similar Sempron setup (as well as other
> machines).

Well. He is already using Gentoo using the pro-audio overlay.
gentoo+pro-audio probably has a lot more (audio) packages than 64studio.