[LAU] Newbie, where should I start?

Thomas Kuther gimpel at sonnenkinder.org
Sun May 20 09:19:08 EDT 2007

On So, 20.05.07 13:02 Mrugesh Karnik <mrugeshkarnik at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to setup a `proof of concept' sound processing system on
> my machine, using Linux. The system should cater rock/metal bands.
> Now I need to know where to start and what to look at. There's so
> much documentation and so many software out there that I'm getting
> confused and don't know where to start. I have around a month to set
> up the system, so as to give a presentation and a live demo at a
> local community event.
>
> I generally prefer to know my theory properly before practically
> implementing, so please tell me what background knowledge I should
> ideally have to implement such a system.
>
> Any links, hints, pointers etc. very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> P.S. I'm using Gentoo and have access to the pro-audio overlay. Also,
> since this is just a proof of concept type project, I won't be
> spending on hardware. I have a Sempron64 2500+ machine with 1GB of
> RAM and plenty of hard disk space, although on 7200 rpm PATA. I think
> I can borrow a Creative SB Live 5.1 sound card from my boss for the
> project.

Good base! :)

For a start just emerge

rt-sources
jack-audio-connection-kit (with jack-tmpfs useflag!)
ardour 2.0.2
some ladspa plugins (swh-plugins, tap-plugins)

For the theory part learn a bit about low latency kernel stuff:
http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

routing and working with jackd, recording with ardour and effect
processing using ladspa.

That should give a good knowledge base.

Also the pro-audio overlay wiki has two good articles about the kernel
and setting up a DAW using gentoo.
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki

Cheers.