[LAU] playing a multichannel DVD-A in Linux

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon May 28 13:27:33 EDT 2007

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 04:50:34PM -0400, Phil Sexton wrote:
> Hector Centeno wrote:
> >Thanks Phil for the reply, according to the VLC web site there is no
> >support for DVD-A. I installed it and tried anyways and the results
> >are the same: it only plays the Video part with stereo audio. So far
> >it looks that only WinDVD and PowerDVD can play DVD-A but of course
> >only for Windows. It looks like it's a licensing issue and the fact
> >that aob files are encripted in a way that makes it impossible to
> >rip... unless someone here knows how.
>
> Arrgh!  I hate monopolies and companies that won't stick to open standards!
>
> I always write the companies that employ the broken or non-standards and
> tell them that they are missing out on quite a large potential audience
> by using software that is limited to Microsoft/Apple.

I've never heard of DVD-A players for OS X.  I think this is MS or
dedicated hardware only.

FWIW, there is a european company that produces a modded DVD player that
gives you 3x S/PDIF for the DVD-A and/or SACD output (yes, that includes
DSD to PCM converters).  Normal DVD-A players only support playing DVD-A
to analog outputs.