[LAU] playing a multichannel DVD-A in Linux

Rob lau at kudla.org
Mon May 28 13:37:56 EDT 2007

On Sunday 27 May 2007, Hector Centeno wrote:
> don't seem to find any DVD-A software player and the DVD players
> like mplayer and Totem only play the 2-channel+video version that
> it's also included in the disc (inside the VIDEO_TS directory). I

You sure there's not also a 5.1 mix on there as an alternate audio
track?  The one DVD-A I ripped for someone who bought it (Fragile by
Yes) had both stereo and Dolby 5.1 audio tracks in VIDEO_TS.  Check
it out in Acidrip or something that lists audio tracks.

Not that I'd know what format you'd rip it into.... do any Ogg Vorbis
players actually support its multichannel abilities?  I made an .ogg
file at the time but had no way to test it without a surround setup
and he wasn't able to play it on his Windows box (this was in 2003.)

Rob