[LAU] MIDI keyboard compatability

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Nov 7 03:22:43 EST 2007

arisstotle.54695488 at bloglines.com wrote:
> --- gnome at hawaii.rr.com wrote:
> Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
>>> david:

> am
> info on it. Could someone point me in the

> are
> on
>>> In your
> modules settings file (mine is /etc/modules.d/alsa), set:
>> I don't have
> an /etc/modules.d directory. I have an /etc/modprobe.d
>> directory.
>>

>>> alias snd-card-0 snd-<card1>
>>> alias snd-card-1 snd-<card2>
>>> etc.
>
>> I found a file called "sound" in the modprobe.d directory. It already
>
>> had an alias setting snd-card-0 to the intel sound driver. So I added
> an
>> alias to it for the snd-usb-audio. Restarting only brought up error
>
>> messages about usb device 2,2, and killed both the USB<>MIDI adapter and
>
>> my external flash card reader. So I decided to go the other way -
>>
> renamed the sound file to something else and restarted again. Then
>> everything
> came up.
>> So far, audio has been working since then, but won't really
> know for awhile.
>> Running GNU/Debian Linux ...
>
> use
> the vendor and product IDs from lsusb and lspci to give each alsa driver an
> index number to make sure that each driver gets put in the same spot each
> boot.
>
> in my modprobe.d/alsa file I have:
> options snd-usb-audio index=1,2,3
> vid=0x08bb,0x0763,0x0c45 pid=0x2902,0x0199,0x1
> 7fd

Hmmm, OK. Is that all one line in the alsa file? Not sure I understand
that. lsusb -v shows me this for my one USB audio device:

idVendor           0x041e Creative Technology, Ltd
idProduct          0x3f07

That's pretty clear about what's what. I gather I need a line like this
in the alsa file (index=2 to make it the second sound device, yes?):

options snd-usb-audio index=2 vid=0x041e pid=0x3f07

On the other hand, lspci -vn shows me this for the onboard audio controller:

00:1f.5 0401: 8086:24c5 (rev 03)
         Subsystem: 1179:ff01
         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
         I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
         I/O ports at 18c0 [size=64]
         Memory at e0100c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
         Memory at e0100800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

I guess the "8086:24c5" is the two numbers I need, minus the prefatory "0x"?

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community