[LAU] no soound from rme hdsp 9632

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Nov 12 17:55:35 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 23:21 +0100, Diseño treees wrote:
> Hi people, i've got a question about the hdsp9632, maybe anyone solved
> this before, i've searched a lot without success:
>
> Last week i installed a Debian Lenny for audio work. I had the 1.51
> firmware on the hdsp, and alsa failed on the startup (loading hdsp
> module). After some google searching i found that newer versions of
> alsa (as mine) could handle latest firmware. So i installed the 1.53
> firmware. Now alsa recognizes the card, and jack runs fine, but i only
> get sound from the output 9. I read an email about that, saying that a
> downgrade to (hard to find) version 1.52 will solve this. Here i've
> got two problems, maybe more:
>
> 1. When i execute (from windows) the firmware update tool, nothing
> happens. I've written to RME to know if it's any problem downgrading
> from version 1.53 (i did it from factory 1.52 to 1.51 some months ago
> with no problem). The card is working well in windows.
>
> 2. While looking for an answer, i found a package named
> "alsa-firmware" ("alsa-firmware-loaders" in debian) containing some
> firmware configuration files. So i went into /usr/share/alsa/firmware
> (/usr/share/alsa/cards in debian) and i saw two RME config files:
>
> RME9636.conf and RME9632.conf

irrelevant. there is no "firmware" to load on the hdsp9632, its only
necessary when there is an external i/o box involved (and to be clear,
even then what is loaded by the "firmware loaded" is not firmware
actually, its just some configuration data for the breakout box).

are you running hdspmixer after a boot? this has been required on the
RME HDSP series for several years now (though i consider it to be a
mistake)

--p