[LAU] A virtual LAU chillout band

plutek-infinity plutek at infinity.net
Tue Nov 13 16:40:10 EST 2007

>From: Rob <lau at kudla.org>

>On Tuesday 13 November 2007 15:21, Alexandros Vichos wrote:
>> I don't know if someone has implemented this idea, neither have I
>> searched online for something similar, but this post reminded me of
>> it, and i thought it would be nice to share it with all you Linux
>> Audio guys!
>
>I started messing with some scripts a couple years ago and registered
>the domains musicvs.com and .org (as in "music versioning system" but
>I didn't want to reuse "MVS" even if it were available), but then my
>partner's heart problems got worse and my free time disappeared.  I
>haven't let them lapse if I remember right, but I'm still kinda
>picking up the pieces and doubt I'd get anything done with it for
>months at least, if not more.
>
>It kinda started with my desire for a license for music that was like
>the GPL.  No, not the CC-Attribution-ShareAlike license, because that
>doesn't require you to release your source tracks.  I'm no lawyer, so
>rather than conceiving yet another new half-cocked license I started
>thinking about creating an environment where that kind of sharing
>would be easier.
>
>My idea was basically to have projects on this site like cvs or svn
>would, but with a timeline and audio tracks instead of a bunch of
>directory trees, and participants could be granted read-only or
>check-in access (no access by default because of the bandwidth
>involved), they could upload their tracks in some lossless format,
>subject to CC-By-SA, and I was going to use one of the non-GUI sound
>libraries/languages to allow for effects and (though I hadn't heard
>of the term yet) Ajax waveform editing with streaming audio for
>previewing, and there'd be some way to distribute tracks or mixdowns
>publicly automatically via bittorrent, and it was all probably way,
>way more ambitious than I could have handled by myself.

interesting ideas, there. but, yes, somewhat involved.

i wonder what would happen if it all started with one sample, which could be developed and forked at will, resulting in a LARGE collection of material, all "descended" from one source...

not sure about the logistics of something like that.

--
.pltk.