[LAU] A virtual LAU chillout band

Frank Pirrone frankpirrone at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 21:04:24 EST 2007

Mark Constable wrote:
> up a bare Subversion repo that anyone is welcome to use
> if anyone cares to try svn out. The URL is ...
>
>  http://markconstable.com/jam/
> or
>  curl http://markconstable.com/jam/README
>
> All I have done is add an initial README with a few
> instructions to get started. Just reply to me personally
> (not the list) with an email address and password and
> you can svn commit to the above repo. Anyone is free
> to checkout or export the contents via svn.
>
> --markc

That's cool Mark, I'll send a request for access.   This is a
fundamentally powerful idea.  I mean it's social networking across the
Internet of a very high order, with the focus on music.

If there weren't so many people in on it, we could pretend to drop the
idea, and meet in private to work up something that would be worth
billions in no-time!  Sure, we could call it, oh...SecondBand - avatars,
the works!  Or, how about MusicMash where visitors to our site could
take tracks, mix and mash, and come up with entirely unexpected
results!  We're even toying with a new Karaoke, where instead of a
static backing "track" we have separate tracks that allow a vocalist to
replace or sing along with the current vocal, and same for all
instrumentalists.  Very cool indeed.  IPO in a year, I promise.

Okay, okay, more seriously (not that any of the above is empty blowing,
or even preposterous -What kind of a moron would call a search
site...yawn...something goofy and meaningless, like Google?) , the basic
idea of aligned tracks posted to a project site in a low-loss data
format that can be loaded into something as humble as Audacity, with
tracks playing or muted to test additions or substitutions, and when one
contributor is done their track is uploaded and the project file is
saved and ready for the next "edit" is a powerful one.

A couple of issues:  Synchronicity of edits, or even edits that are
systematic and manageable might be a problem.  What I was thinking of in
my comment above was if I listened and felt I had a better guitar
concept or better skills, I'd be inclined to consider offering a
"replacement" or looking elsewhere for a different contribution, but I
don't know what would be the right side of chaos, maybe a reasonable
number of contributors on each instrument would impose some inherent
order.  Whatever.

Otherwise, being able to check out the latest alternate or additional
tracks and simply substitute or add them to those already on my hard
drive would keep the bandwidth demands reasonable.  Log or check in
tonight, see two new tracks there, grab them at a few megabytes apiece,
downloaded in a few seconds over my 20mb/sec fiber link, add something,
upload that and the project file in another brief upload, etc.

Frank