[LAU] good players

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Wed Nov 14 04:00:47 EST 2007

On 9 November 2007 at 21:31, Svend-Erik K Madsen <sv-e at sv-e.dk> wrote:

> Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > You might reside in a Forbidden Zone, but here on LAU there are a
> > a lot of folks who can play well.  I've thought it would be fun to
> > have a virtual collaboration with Linux using musicians.  My
> > instrument happens to be drums, and my style is all over the map,
> > hopefully to fit the style of whichever players I'm with or the song
> > being played.  The last stuff I finished was 3 tunes with Kevin
> > Ferguson, specificly:
> >
> > Liberation (straight ahead rock?)
> > http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/kevinferguson3-01.m3u
> >
> > Awaiting the Past (bluesy)
> > http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/kevinferguson3-09.m3u
> >
> > Mayday Macedonia (Balkan dance tune in 27/16 and phrygian mode)
> > http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/kevinferguson3-15.m3u
> >

> > When time permits (I'm involved in 3 part-time projects now, plus a
> > day job, plus a family -- I'm sure folks here can relate) I'd really
> > like to do some music with other LAU people.  Is there a better place
> > to meet than the LAU list to discuss this?  If so, just let me know
> > where.
>
> Hi Kevin
>
> I'll be glad to play some licks in your virtual band if you fancy my
> style, take a listen here at your own risk :
>
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=456274

Sounds good to me.  How do you want to start?  Maybe with some
introductions?

I'm quite happy in a rock format.  My favorite stuff is
progressive rock (Kansas, Dream Theater, etc).  My least favorite
stuff would be twangy country & rap.  I've played originals and
covers of tunes in rock, blues, Balkan, Caribbean, Latin, polka,
Dixieland, Celtic and electrified classical.

I've co-written songs and lyrics, and individually written
lyrics.  I've been a big part of arrangement, recording, and
production in my prior bands.  None of this ever "went anywhere".
But, we did stay at the top of the local band sales charts for a
month once in one band, and another band had several gigs playing
for hundreds of folks, dozens of whom actually came to see us
play.

I play an 8 piece Ludwig kit with a variety of cymbals and
percussion.  I have a Bodhran, bongos and a few hand percussion
toys.  I record with Audix & AKG mics through a Soundcraft mixer
into an M-Audio Delta 1010.

I routinely use Audacity, Ardour, Rosegarden, and Amarok.  I'm
happy to learn other Linux audio programs, and have used others
too.

I've done some remote collaborative recording, even though my
band mates all live within a 20 minute drive.  Our guitar player
wrote sketches of the parts he wanted on bass & drums.  The bass
player and I would fill in or adapt what he wrote, we'd practice
as a group and play some gigs.  To jump start the recording
process the guitar player would multitrack record his final
guitar part, a click, and audio versions of the MIDI parts for
the other instruments onto individual tracks.  The bass player
and I would each get a CD with all of this on it which we would
each load onto our computers.  I'd bring that into Ardour.  The
bass player used something else, and the guitar player yet
something else.  WAV files on CDs was one common denominator and
it allowed our recordings to be sample accurate (not that our
playing was) even though our computers all have different clock
speeds.  The clock speed issue is why I couldn't record along
with my MIDI system and expect my drum tracks to align with a
guitar recorded on another system.

Do you have any music ready for a drummer?  Do you want to start
from scratch?  Should I come up with some grooves and send them
your way somehow?

Maybe you could introduce yourself too?

I think it's a good idea for LAU to see some of this discussion
as it might help us all get an idea of how to grow Linux involved
music.

Cheers....

P.S.:	I'm getting ready to be away from the list for about a
	week and a half.  Don't think I disappeared.

--
Kevin