[LAU] A virtual LAU chillout band

Rob lau at kudla.org
Wed Nov 14 10:09:38 EST 2007

On Wednesday 14 November 2007 00:00, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Have you thought of how to share an EDL between several people
> editing it at the same time on different PC's?

I never considered the possibility of two people working on the same
EDL at the same time.  I figured it would be like working on a CVS
server where you "check out" an EDL, or make a new copy, and it only
becomes available to everyone else when you check it back in.  Of
course, if an EDL were checked out, someone else who wanted to work
on it could make another copy, and then there'd be two versions.

I guess there are political implications to that sort of thing, where
you'd have competing EDLs, but there's no need a given piece needs to
have only one official edit or mix; whoever's the "leader" can
release one, and maybe people would regard that as being the
definitive one (like the Linus kernel), but other people could do
their own edits or mixes and sometimes those would prove to be more
popular.

> Maybe it should just be a torrent that includes the project config
> file, audio files and lash config file?
> That way people can distribute a complete session in one torrent.
> If we make a site for hosting the torrents then we don't have to
> deal with bandwidth issues.

I've seen people do experiments with updating torrents, for things
like picture and MIDI file collections.  If you have a 900-file set
and someone updates it to have 950 files, almost all of which are
identical, you can start the new torrent, stop it, copy the contents
of the old completed torrent into the new one's directory, resume it,
and only the new stuff will come down.  I've done it myself a couple
times with things like Mandriva interim releases.

The trouble is, there are no clients that I know of that allow you to
do that easily.  In fact, it's usually very cumbersome, sometimes
requiring you to quit the client before doing the copy.  I don't have
a good solution for that without writing yet another specialized BT
client.

Rob