[LAU] LAU collaboration coordination?

Frank Pirrone frankpirrone at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 18:50:17 EST 2007

plutek-infinity wrote:

*** Greetings Plaul/Pleter/Pluetek (again, sorry for the spasticity!)
> Thanks again for your thoughts, frank! i agree that the directory structure can be VERY simple - i'd say just one directory per song.

*** That's a good idea Paul.  I hadn't actually thought about proceeding
on more than one tune, but that would give folks the option of working
on the one they preferred.  It would also address the base track
choice.  If I up a foundation track, I'll drop it in a directory with
some relevant name, and same with other "bandmates."  I don't anticipate
everyone being confident or bold enough to say, "well, guys, here's the
concept we should go with."  Multiple starters take some of the
spotlight/focus/pressure off the submitters.
> So, you're envisioning every track being full-length -- a few questions about that: what if somebody's track is simply a shot at the end of the song? we could increase the efficiency of the system by providing a timestamp, relative to the base track. or, what if someone decides to add an intro out front (or even just natural instrument "pre-noise", such as breaths)? i'm thinking something like this: filenames include a timestamp (we'll have to decide what units and precision to use), and base files are always place at 1min, to allow for slop off the front end. someone might even want to make a count-in track, etc., etc.

*** Yeah, that's what I meant, but your suggestion is better.  A
time-registry point in the filename would be simple and efficient, and
in fact all that should be necessary for successful alignment.  If it's
off by a hair when someone downloads it and adds it to the other tracks,
a quick tweak should be simple...except for the time impaired, or if
it's so abstract that the time isn't evident.
> I think it'd be fine to allow open submisions of base tracks -- their usefulness will be determined simply by the degree of interest and subsequent tracking each one gets.

*** Yes, indeed...as above.
> (btw... my name is peter, or just call me plutek, like a lot of folks do]

Again, Professor Lutek, my sincerest apologies!

Frank