[LAU] how to edit MIDI by applying selection rules?

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 11:23:16 EST 2007

On Nov 18, 2007 2:18 AM, Hector Centeno <hcengar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some days ago I was working on a MIDI project that required selecting a
> large group of notes and transposing them. The notes to be selected were
> short notes alternating with long ones. Using Rosegarden the only way of
> doing it was to shift-click (in piano roll) on the short notes which became
> impossible since sometimes clicking on the short note would also select the
> long one next to it. Also if I made a mistake I had to start over again
> since in Rosegarden (ver. 1.5.1 at least) you can't unselect a note from a
> group of already selected notes. Even if it was possible to shift-click on
> each note without problems it would require a lot of time. So, my question
> is: are there any open source MIDI editing tools that would allow me to do
> something like this quickly? This kind of tasks are easy to accomplish in
> other proprietary softwares using filtered selection by creating your own
> set of selection rules and applying it to a MIDI region or track (like:
> select all notes between such and such duration). Is there anything like
> this for Linux? Any command line MIDI editing tools already around? In other
> cases it would be nice to edit groups of notes selected by pitch or
> velocity.
>

> Thanks!
>
> Hector

I thought you could do this directly in Rosegarden, but then I tried
it with no luck.

Instead of using the matrix (piano roll) editor, open the segment
(region) with the Event List Editor.  There's a toolbar button for
"Filter Selection" (it looks like a funnel filled with oil to me!). It
allows to select set up some criteria based on pitch, velocity, or
duration.

However, I can't really figure out how event editing is supposed to
work.  If I select 2 events, right-click, and try to edit them, it
only edits the last event selected.  The Filter just seems to
de-select everything I've selected, so I'm not sure what that's
supposed to do either. :(

I didn't try reading the manual, but maybe there's a way to make it work?