[LAU] mastering - do I need it?

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 17:14:30 EST 2007

Dave Phillips wrote:

> Short answer: Yes, you should employ JAMin and work at mastering your
> work before printing to disc.
>
> Longer response: Learn by doing. JAMin isn't a terribly difficult app to
> learn, but learning exacty what doses of which process to utilize, that
> takes some time and experimentation. For example, compression was
> something of a black art to me, but I've learned much more about it by
> playing around with JAMin's excellent tools.

Ok, I played around with jamin and read a bit here and there [1], but if
possible it's now even blacker magic to me. If anyone would give a
practical example of what I'm missing, I uploaded one of the songs to
http://atte.dk/download/holde_pkt.ogg. It seems like jamin can save it's
settings to a .jam file, so if someone would be so super-kind and mess
around with jamin's settings (making my song sound like a dream :-)),
post the .jam file *and* (most importantly) explain the reasoning behind
the decisions that  went into that .jam, I think I can start to
understand a little bit...

I hope I'm not sounding like trying to get a master for free here, but
I'm really eager to learn. If nobody wants to waste their time on this,
I understand...

[1]
http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/loudness.html
http://www.digido.com/bob-katz/cd-mastering.html