[LAU] Internet Music players?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Nov 29 10:03:32 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 03:26 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 10:41 PM, David Haggett <david at haggett.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 November 2007, Joe Hartley wrote:

> > > I've got a Slim Devices Squeezebox, and really like it.
> > >    http://slimdevices.com/
> >
> > I'll second that.  Really nice, and the media server works flawlessly on
> > Linux.  Needs a paid-up account to work with Pandora (you get 1 month free)
> > so might be a problem if you're not in the US.
> >
> > Bit pricy perhaps but sound quality is very good.
> >
> > --
> >
> > David Haggett
> >

> Thanks. That was the name brand box I couldn't remember. I think the
> price is a bit higher than I wanted to pay this Christmas but it's got
> exactly the right functionality. The Roku doesn't play ogg or FLAC
> which apparently the Squeezebox does.
>
> Do you all subscribe to Rhapsody or just use it with free services?

no rhapsody here. just our own collection and various i-radio stations
(somafm, many others). the squeezebox is just great. its one of the few
technological devices that even my wife likes to use.

note: i just started experimenting with my family in the UK using
"softsqueeze" (a s/w implementation of the box) to use our SlimServer
here in philadelphia. if they boost up the buffering enough, they get
smooth, usable audio over our broadband uplink (at least 2 listeners at
once). its a great new way for me to get them listening to new stuff.
softsqueeze is butt ugly and a bit hard to use if you've never used a
squeezebox, but it does work pretty well, on all 3 major desktop
platforms too.

i worry a little about punching the hole in the firewall to let them in,
but for now its mostly an experiment.

--p