[LAU] 65 Studio and debian-multimedia.org

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Fri Nov 30 07:49:22 EST 2007

On 2007-11-30 12:40, Diseño treees wrote:
> well i'm a Debian user, but since 64s is debian based, there's no
> problem with the two repositories, so you can have both and download
> the packages you need. I usually do that with an even worse case:
> mixing lenny and sid repositories. I cross my fingers, and i only do
> install ONE package i need, and after that i comment out the sid
> repositories in sources.list.

Examples are always good so here is what works for me...

# cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 650

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 600

and I have multiple stable/testing/unstable entries in my
/etc/apt/sources.list which then allows me to install any
package with a...

 apt-get -t unstable install amarok

and not have to worry about editing files. If a package
seems to have trouble starting then use "ldd /path/to/proggie"
and see if any libs are missing. Overall one of the best
strategies I find is to have a few "spare" 5Gb to 10Gb
partitions available for various system installs and use
a common large /home partition. This way you can have
32bit/64bit 64studio, ubuntustudio and any other distros
all just a boot away (or a kvm/virtualbox invocation away).

--markc