[LAU] Best NON-RT kernel settings

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Fri Nov 30 20:52:16 EST 2007

If I use a non-rt 64bit kernel I can start, say, konsole in
1 second, if I boot into a 32bit version of the same distro
on the same hardware starting konsole takes 2-3 seconds, if
I run my self made rt kernel (2.6.23.1-rt1 to 2.6.23.9-rt11)
it takes up to 10 seconds to start konsole. My whole desktop
experience feels sluggish under an rt kernel and Blender
takes about 50% longer to render the same image.

I absolutely need Jack for interconnection but I don't really
need 1ms, or even less than 20ms, latency for heavy duty
multitrack recording and I don't have the hardware to do
so anyway.

My question is; would anyone have any suggestions how to get
the best Jack-savvy audio settings out of recent 2.6.23 to
2.6.24rc kernels without using the rt patchset ?

--markc