[LAU] Convert data from old SMPTETrack Atari to standard MIDI foramt?

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue Oct 2 08:00:47 EDT 2007

drew Roberts wrote:

>On Monday 01 October 2007 10:19 pm, Ken Restivo wrote:
>

>>It looks like steem will access /dev/midi or any OSS-style /dev/something
>>MIDI port, however. So I'm almost there. I just need to figure out how to
>>get a /dev/midi kind of device to show up in aconnect, then I can play the
>>song on EditTrack in the virtual Atari, and use aseqdump to capture it on
>>Linux.
>>
>>I've messed around with virmidi, etc, but haven't figured out how to do
>>this though. Is there any way to create a bridge between a /dev/device that
>>will show up as an ALSA sequencer port in aconnect/QjackCtl?
>>

>On some of my boxes, I run this way:
>
>modprobe snd-seq-oss
>modprobe snd-virmidi
>qjackctl
>
>make sure Connect is selected
>choose the midid tab
>
>You should see the virmidi devices even before actuallt starting jack in
>qjackctl. Do the ports from the Atari program show up there?

Hi drew, hi Ken,

Here's how I do it:

  Start Xsteem.
  Open the Options/Ports dialog.
  Select MIDI Port Device from the drop-down Connect-to menu.
  Manually add /dev/midi or click on the Choose button and add whatever
device you like (this isn't working correctly, so I just write in the
portname).

I have three sound devices in my JAD system, including virmidi in card
slot #2 (from base #0). Thus, I connect to /dev/snd/midiC2D0. Make sure
you check the input/output boxes and the Open button (it doesn't look
like a button) in the Xsteem Options/Ports window.

drew was right, just do 'modprobe snd-virmidi' and that should add four
virtual MIDI ports that will instantly appear in the MIDI Connections
panel of QJackCtl.

Let me know if you need further help with Xsteem. And be sure to check
out the loads of cool apps at TAMW.

Best,

dp