[LAU] FIGGS 0.001 released (Symmetry and Music)

Green Kobold greenkobold at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 20:47:44 EDT 2007

Hi Folks,

FIGGS (Finite Groups in Granular Synthesis) is an app dedicated to musical
exploration of symmetry concepts. I think that its better for constructing
musical structures that for granular synthesis itself. Its all written in
python, and its GPL in case someone is willing to help somehow.
In this link one can find the program (FIGGS.zip), an article about it, some
slides (maybe better than the article to get the idea), screenshots, a
little video of the app running, and some music done with it:
http://cortex.lems.brown.edu/~renato/sonic-art/nics/<http://cortex.lems.brown.edu/%7Erenato/sonic-art/nics/>

For now it has a GUI, but it is still very research oriented, you might have
to know (or learn) some group theory before doing something consciously. And
its running over SAGE (Software for Algebra and Geometry Experimentation),
with python packages installed on its own python interpreter. The code is as
messy as i could do, for i am the only developer until now. So, if someone
wants to do something with the code, write me and i will clean it.

If someone knows Portuguese, it might be good to start here (under FIGGS
title):
http://www.estudiolivre.org/tiki-index.php?page=Usu%C3%A1rio_gk

enjoy, cheers,
gk or Renato