[LAU] Realtime, but many xruns when jack is started. Debian Etch

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Oct 3 16:49:40 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 21:57, Roman Muñoz wrote:
> May be you have some shared IRQ's? Just guessing...

Hi Roman. Thanks for your reply. Normally sound cards don't have any problems
sharing IRQ's, and as realtime is working with Fedora 7 on the same machine
as Etch with my audigy2 soundblaster card, I think that there is something
else going on here on Etch, that I havn't quite figured out.

> I wonder what could be the problem here, since I'm using realtime on
> Debian Etch with no xruns... and the card is an infamous intel-hda on an
> nvidia ck804 motherboard.

The fact that you've got the intel-hda card to even work deserves 10 out of 10
full marks. I've seen so many problems with the infinite variations of it.

> I'm not really doing serious audio work (I'm not a musician) but worked
> for a music school willing to change from Microsotf. They use Audigy
> (and some usb m-audio) cards, and they look like being quite happy. They
> used to be Windows-only people until June. Yes, they are using Etch now.
> So I would say that Etch works fine with realtime.
>
> We made a live-cd for that music school. We are not advertising nor
> promoting it as a multimedia distro, it is simply what we made in order
> to get a system installed and configured quickly, then the music school
> came to us and we added the realtime stuff, etc. It worked for them
> rigth after installing and setting qjackctl for their card (frames,
> sample rate & period, no more). Anyway, you can download it as a Debian
> Etch-based livecd, with some (quite few) packages added from testing,
> musix, kiberpipa and debian-multimedia:
>
> http://gisa-elkartea.org/gisalivecd-012.iso
>
> kernel is 2.6.21.6-rt21, also available to download separatedly:
>
> http://gisa-elkartea.org/linux-image-2.6.21.6-rt21-gisa-686_03_i386.deb

I don't think the kernel version is the problem. There's some other problem,
but your kernel is later than Marcos's, so I'll install that as well. I'm on
dialup so downloading iso's takes some time, but I'll look at your distro.

I think first I'll download the latest version of Musix. This way I can see if
realtime is working ok on it, and may get some clues as to why realtime is
not working on Etch.

> To install it, you should log in as root with password gisanagusia. On
> root's desktop you will find icons for install instructions, gparted and
> install script.
>
> However, install instructions and script are spanish-only at this
> moment, sorry. It asks for devices where /, swap, /home and /multimedia
> partitions are (you can leave /home and /multimedia blank if not used),
> username, user password (twice), root password (twice). grub
> destination, and finally, it asks if /home and multimedia contents (if
> any) should be preserved.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Roman

Many thanks for your reply.