[LAU] Realtime, but many xruns when jack is started. Debian Etch

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Thu Oct 4 12:10:48 EDT 2007

On Thursday 04 October 2007, Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > Ok, you have not done any irq priority tuning.. Try setting the IRQ-10
> > > process [your emu10k1] to prio 90..
> >
> > I'm not sure what I'm doing here. I presume I need to use chrt to change
> > the priority, but am not sure of the correct syntax. The current pid for
> > IRQ10 is 940.
> >
> > Could you give me a line that will work for this pid, as the man page is
> > pretty hopeless with no examples, and about 3 hrs of googling turned up
> > virtually nothing.
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > Nigel.
> >
> > > Flo
>
> Bad to reply to my own post, but I've resolved the problem.

I never quite understood what was supposed to be bad about replying to one's
own post.. :)

> One xrun after 6m 33secs of 0.253 msecs, which is what I'm getting on
> Fedora 7.

With soundcard irq prio at 90 [not shared with any other device], Jack prio at
70 and all other irq prios at default 51?

Then it's either an application bug [are you running any applications]? Or a
bug in the emu10k1 driver. Or in jackd, though i suppose that's rather
unlikely..

> Will that change of priority I've made for the soundcard on the current
> pid, hold after a reboot?

Nope.. It will be started with the default prio again. Have a look at the
rtirq script or fiddle your own initscript. Most distros have some "local"
init script where you put that command..

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org