[LAU] Realtime, but many xruns when jack is started. Debian Etch

Roman Muñoz intxixu at gisa-elkartea.org
Fri Oct 5 23:32:58 EDT 2007

Nigel Henry escribió:
>  The version installed is the same as on the
> blog above (20070101), and the 2 files are installed, one
> in /etc/init.d/rtirq, and the other in /etc/sysconfig/rtirq. I believe
> the /etc/sysconfig directory was created when installing rtirq, as I don't
> rmember it being there before. I say this because with Fedora the sysconfig
> directory exists, and there is a bunch of files in it, and I remember looking
> in Debian for this directory, and couldn't find it.

Well that is probably the matter. I never cared about an /etc/sysconfig
directory on debian (I changed to Debian after trying to migrate from
Red Hat 6.2 to Red Hat 7). Now I am on a powerbook g3 system and
/etc/sysconfig does not exist. I would bet a lot of money that we will
not find it on a debian i386 system neither. I think  it does not exist
on debian. Actually, I got a complain about /etc/default/rtirq being not
found the first time i tried to execute rtirq.sh linked from the blog
above...

I think that boot directories are the main difference between debian and
red-hat based systems.  So if package you installed (did you installed a
package? just guessing again) is not placing anything on /etc/default,
it is not surprising that rtirq does not work for you on a debian system.

> I also ran sysv-rc-conf as root on Etch. The rtirq entry is there, but
> runlevels 2,3,4,and5 are unchecked, so something isn't quite right here.

? I can't remember anything about sysv-rc-conf. On debian you need
update-rc.d to set bootscripts to be executed. On red hat-based systems
i think chkconfig (or so) takes care of this. If used as explained,
update-rc.d will create symbolic links to start rtirq (it may be
rtirq.sh) on runlevels 2-3-4-5 and to stop it on runlevels 0-1-6. You'll
find a directory /etc/rcX.d for each runlevel where a symbolic link
S99rtirq (or K01rtirq) will be pointing to /etc/init.d/rtirq.
/etc/init.d/rtirq must exist before creating symbolic links with update-rc.d
> see also on the blog above that rtirq should be in /etc/default, but in the
> case of Etch it isn't.

I think this is why rtirq is not working for you. It worked for me after
copying rtirq.conf file on /etc/default/rtirq, not in
/etc/sysconfig/rtirq. It seems that you somehow managed to get a red
hat/fedora package installed on a debian system? It could be wrong, even
if versions are the same... All I can say  is that rtirq.sh from tarball
linked from musix blog complained about /etc/default/rtirq being not
found on my debian etch system... and that debian is not fedora. You'll
find no /etc/sysconfig directory on debian.
> As I say. Realtime on Etch is working ok, but I'll go
> through the same procedure on Debian Lenny (testing), and try and fix the
> rtirq problem without using Rick Wright's one liner, although it's much
> appreciated, and works like clockwork.
>
> I'll post back after I've played around with realtime on Lenny a bit.

So you are getting no more xruns now? That is the real point... After
reading it, I would say that rtirq is a much more polished script than
ours. However it does not look as setting the rtc irq frequency as
explained on Florian's website.

In short:

a) please download tarball linked from musix blog.
b) untar it.
c) mv rtirq.sh /etc/init.d/rtirq
d) mv rtirq.conf /etc/default/rtirq
e) update-rc.d rtirq start 99 2 3 4 5 . stop 0 1 6 .
f) it should work at startup on any debian distro

Best regards,
Roman