[LAU] Music making on low spec laptop

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 12:57:28 EDT 2007

chris beagles wrote:

> Is there any where you can recommend that I can get free samples from?

 From time to time some suggestions pop up here, but I can't really
recommend any site in particular since I rarely shop there. It also
depends heavily on your taste and style of music...

> Google brings up loads of results. Have always used soundfonts and live
> synths to create music.

Soundfonts wouldn't bee too taxing on the cpu either AFAIK. Try
fluidsynth or one of it's guis, most notably Qsynth and
fluidsynth-dssi.so (the later for instance with ghostess). Soundfonts
are of course much easier to deal with than single samples when we're
talking about multi sampled instruments like piano.

BTW: The best (free) piano I heard is
ftp://musix.ourproject.org/pub/musix/sf2/Steinway_IMIS2.2/Steinway_IMIS2.2.sf2.bz2

For drums, I always design a kit for each song, and specimen is
super-super fast at doing that.

> Will have a read through the online pd help manual, never managed to
> grasp it before but i shall try and persevere this time!

It's not that tricky. And the community is very helpful.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://atte.dk       | http://myspace.com/attejensen