[LAU] Real Time Kernel best settings

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Sun Oct 14 08:15:21 EDT 2007

Geoff Beasley wrote:
> On Sunday 14 October 2007 11:06:43 holborn wrote:

me also can only say what i have here, don't know if it is the best (but
works good!)

>> --- Enable the block layer
>>                       [ ]   Support for Large Block Devices
>>                       [ ]   Support for tracing block io actions
>>                       [ ]   Support for Large Single Files
>>                       [ ]   Block layer SG support v4 (EXPERIMENTAL)
>>

> i think these only apply if you're going to be using large file sizes. =>
> 2gig. but i could be wrong.

think so too, i have the first option checked

>> IO Schedulers  --->
>>

> i tend to use the deadline but there's probably not a lot of difference. again
> no expert so more info could be valuable.

i have checked them all and the cfq as default

>> Processor type and features  --->
>> HPET Timer Support
>>

> i find this essential for good low latency operation and stability.

here too.

>> Device Drivers  --->
>> Character devices  --->
>> <*> Enhanced Real Time Clock Support
>>

> needed.

yes..

>> [ ] Real Time Clock Histogram Support
>>

> only for debuging; turn it off.
>

>> <*> Priority Inheritance Debugging (Blocker) Device Support
>>

> piss this off ! for debugging only and  i have seen this take an interupt.
>

>>  [ ] HPET - High Precision Event Timer
>>

>  i always enable this and 'allow mmap' below it.

me too, both options on...

>> Sound  --->
>> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture  --->
>>  <M>   RTC Timer support
>> [*]     Use RTC as default sequencer timer

this is exactly as it is looking here too!
>  i don't use alsa in the kernel so i can't comment.
>
> g.

very interesting thread, it would be good if we continue and other
people put their experiences and uncleared questions here!

cheers,
doc