[LAU] GNU Denemo chokes a dual core 2 GB server

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Mon Oct 15 13:56:40 EDT 2007

> tim hall wrote:
> > Would Rosegarden be any better?
> > Or even timidity?
> >
> > I don't know Lilypond, so this might be a stupid suggestion.
>
> If the tunes are really simple, and if the students aren't
> afraid of text files, they can use abc format.  There is a
> Linux program to map abc to midi.  I would think that's about
> the simplest and least resource intensive way to create
> playable midi files.  However, it's not the most
> intuitive.

I missed the start of this thread. If you are interested in entering musical
notation (scoring) and exporting MIDI, well Rosegarden is not the best
choice, is too heavy and its scoring is not easy to use. Denemo is simply not
ready to play.

Try good old kde noteedit (awkward but effective) or the new and very nice
musescore (mscore, is WYSIWYG and does not need lilypond to print, the new
one on the block and just gets better and better!).