[LAU] Sound Editors, Alsa, and alsa.conf troubles

Clemens Ladisch cladisch at fastmail.net
Wed Oct 17 03:07:56 EDT 2007

Tobiah wrote:
> Lately, I've been having trouble getting any decent
> sound editor to use the second card.  Audacity should
> do it, but on my Kubuntu system, it crashes when opening
> or playing a file.  I find this in my log:
>
> alsactl: resmgr: communication failure: Connection refused

IIRC the resmgr API functions were changed to always fail because
resmgr now works differently (see
<http://forgeftp.novell.com/resmgr/web/README.html>).  Did you
update HAL or resmgr without also updating the alsa-* packages?
It's also possible that those Kubuntu packages have not yet been
changed to disable resmgr support.

Regards,
Clemens