[LAU] RealTime Kernel for openSUSE 10.3 x86_64

Edgar Aichinger edogawa at aon.at
Wed Oct 17 11:50:06 EDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2007 schrieb David Haggett:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2007, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> > > The default kernel and kernel source packages have both moved on to
> > > 2.6.22.9-0.4 - so if I install the RT kernel, I will not be able to
> > > install the NVidia driver for it.
> > >
> > > I am now trying to downgrade the kernel and sources to the original
> > > shipped version so I can try the RT version.  Does anyone have any advice
> > > that might help?
> >
> > Interesting :) have a look up here:
> >   http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/38
>
> Hmm
>
> Well downgrading the kernel was partly successful - i.e. I got back to version
> 2.6.22.5-31, installed the sources and re-installed the NVidia driver.  I
> then managed to install the NVidia driver against the default kernel.
>
> I then managed to install the kernel-rt package, and once again booted into
> text mode.
>
> Sadly, installing the NVidia module once again failed - basically the same
> message as with 10.2
>
> ERROR: The kernel header file
>   '/lib/modules/2.6.22.5-31-rt/build/include/linux/version.h' does not
>   exist.  The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source files
>   in '/lib/modules/2.6.22.5-18-rt/build' have not been configured.
>
> I've done some digging:
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.22.5-31-rt/build is a symlink to
>                  /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.5-31-obj/x86_64/rt
>
> This directory contains only a single file called Module.symvers (matching
> kernel-rt and kernel-source installed.
>
> I've gone back to the updated kernel, and successfully re-installed the NVidia
> driver - so I evidently have correctly configured sources.  Looking at
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.5-31-obj/x86_64, there are directories for default, xen
> and debug, and they each contain version.h - but there is no rt/ folder.
>
> I'm not a coder, so all I have to go on is logic - but it appears to me that
> the kernel-source package does not include the necessary files for a realtime
> kernel.
>
> Is there any way that these files can be generated without rebuilding the
> kernel?

I went through this too, and after asking on #suse about this suser jengelh jumped
in and rolled new packages, including kernel-rt-source and ready-to-install nvidia
drivers. His repository is at

 http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-jengelh/SUSE-10.3/

We'd be glad to hear how it behaves for you, either here or in the jacklab forums or
irc channel.

Edgar