[LAU] [LAA] [ANN] gigedit 0.1.0

Wed Oct 17 14:42:37 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 19:33 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 19:25 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> >> I am not a lawyer, but neither the COPYING-file nor the (randomly picked)
> >> src/linuxsampler.cpp state anything but gplv2 (or later) for the license.
> >> The README states something about getting the authors authorization to use the
> >> app in commercial software or hardware. While I think this is some legit
> >> modification because they don't want their work to be used commercially
> >> without them knowing, I don't think this rule applies as they probably didn't
> >> ask all the participating authors (and the AUTHORS file states quite a few)
> >> for their permission to change the license.
> >
> > I'm not a lawyer either. Section 10 of GPL2 includes:
> >
> > "You may not impose any further restrictions on the exercise of the
> > rights granted or affirmed under this License."
> >
> > So, you can't add restrictions (in this case commercial use of the
> > code). If you want to add restrictions then you can't use the GPL. At
> > least that's my reading.
> >
> >> Which leads me to believe that linuxsampler is (still) free software as in
> >> free-software-defined-by-the-fsf. Or anyone who made a contribution to
> >> linuxsampler before the change in the license and wasn't asked about the
> >> license-change can request for reversing the license-change or their
> >> contribution to be removed from LS.
>
> it is my belief that all the people listed in the AUTHORS file
> (including yours truly) are aware and in deed participated, in their own
> call, to the linuxsampler license debate. unfortunately afaict it's
> still an unfinished business... ;)

Yep, the question keeps popping up in the lists, long threads ensue, and
inevitably somebody says it is ok to to it. Probably linuxsampler should
be relicensed to another license that accepts extra restrictions. There
must be something in the big zoo of licenses out there that would fit,
but most probably it would not be an fsf approved license.

-- Fernando