[LAU] Is LS licensed? (was: [LAA] [ANN] gigedit 0.1.0)

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Oct 17 15:07:04 EDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2007 schrieb Keith Sharp:
> 2) The inclusion of the additional restriction means that LinuxSampler
> cannot be distributed under a licence that is called the GPL.  The GPL
> FAQ[2] is quite clear on this.  Additionally the FAQ states that
> software distributed under the GPL + restrictions cannot be linked to
> libraries under the GPL because the new licence (GPL + restrictions) is
> almost certainly incompatible with the GPL.

Which means the linuxsampler guys can't link to their own libgig! Someone
should tell them about their problems.

And which means that its not a question of "is LS under a truly-free(TM)
license or not" but more "Does LS have a valid license at all?" Apart from
the copyright the authors have.

I still hope for someone who contributed to LS who wasn't asked about the
license-change...

And no, using GigaSampler is not an options for me (altough I own a copy of
that app, came with my Tascam) because that would mean a) booting the other
system, b) getting latencies >500ms and c) getting the sound delivered on the
builtin-speakers of the laptop. And I don't feel like fiddling around in that
OS to try to fix b and c.

Can't someone write/adopt a sampler to use gig-files through libgig? Shouldn't
be to hard for someone already knowing how to write samplers?

Have fun,

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/