[LAU] Line noise

Edgar Aichinger edogawa at aon.at
Sat Oct 20 04:55:40 EDT 2007

Am Samstag, 20. Oktober 2007 schrieb leslie.polzer at gmx.net:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to get my electric guitar connected to my sound card.
>
> Keeping the card's input gain low keeps away the noise, but
> produces a very low signal. I can put Jamin right after that and crank
> up the input gain, but there's a maximum to it and I'm not sure whether
> that's the right approach.
>
> Turning up the card's input volume increases the gain, of course, but it
> delivers a lot of very ugly noise as well. If I connect a microphone to
> the port, I get a high-gain signal without noise.
>
> The card's an SB Live! Platinum, and the mic port seems to be the only
> capture port usable by Jack. The cabling for the guitar is all new.
>
> I can provide samples of the input signal at the various settings if you
> wish.
>
>   Leslie

You cannot do that in a sane way - the output of a guitar pickup needs to be
modified (amplified and converted to high impedance) before, otherwise the
signal will suffer (treble loss). A guitar amp with line out, or certain guitar
FX processors will do, or you can try to find some cheaper device, look for at
least a impedance converter(transformer), or an active (battery powered) D/I box
with built in amplifier.

Edgar