[LAU] USB M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Oct 20 03:59:11 EDT 2007

Hallo,
Folderol hat gesagt: // Folderol wrote:

> Something confusing here. The 2496 is NOT a USB card, it's a
> conventional pci one.

M-Audio produces both an Audiophile PCI and a Audiophile USB. Because
the AP-PCI is such a good and popular card, probably M-Audio saw fit
to market a "broken" USB card under the same name because otherwise it
wouldn't have found any buyers at all. ;)

Anyway, I think, in recent 2.6 kernels/ALSA-CVS, a lot of work on
getting this USB card to run was made, so if one is forced to use one,
s/he might be more lucky now and should try the latest and greatest
ALSA and follow the included documentation [1]. But still I would
avoid to buy one if shopping for a new USB card.

[1]
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/Audiophile-Usb.txt

Ciao