[LAU] Line noise

Edgar Aichinger edogawa at aon.at
Sat Oct 20 06:02:19 EDT 2007

Am Samstag, 20. Oktober 2007 schrieb Leslie P. Polzer:

> > You cannot do that in a sane way - the output of a guitar pickup needs to be
> > modified (amplified and converted to high impedance) before, otherwise the
> > signal will suffer (treble loss).
>
> Does that still hold if I use the Line-In instead of the Mic-In?

Yes. I was speaking of line in, that's where you need a preamp, on mic in your
pickup signal might be a bit to hot already, but in any case the impedance of the
guitar pickup is too high (sorry i wrongly said "converted to high", meant "to low"
above, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DI_unit for a good explanation).

> > A guitar amp with line out, or certain guitar
> > FX processors will do, or you can try to find some cheaper device, look for at
> > least a impedance converter(transformer), or an active (battery powered) D/I box
> > with built in amplifier.
>
> Any recommendations for a cheap device that just does the job nicely?

not really; any active DI-Box will do, e.g.Behringer has cheap ones. Personally I
use either my Roland GR-33 guitar synth (has built-in speaker simulation too), a
cheap and small marshall valve-state guitar amp or an ancient Roland analog synth
with pitch to voltage converter(P/V synth SPV 355, great stuff :)), or the (also
ancient) Ibanez DM1000 12bit 19" delay processor for my electric guitars, and a
Fishbone Preamp for the piezo pickup in one of my classical guitars.

Edgar