[LAU] [ot]: literature on arrangment/composition

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 11:20:50 EDT 2007

On 10/20/07, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't recommend Partch's book to a student looking for a starting
> text on typical theory/composition. Harry Partch was an amazing and
> idiosyncratic composer who designed his own instruments and trained
> musicians on them in order to get his music heard at all (shades of Don
> Van Vliet), he was pretty far from the mainstream.

I actually wouldn't recommend Partch at all for composition, now that I
think of it.  I would highly recommend him for understanding the intervals
and consonance and dissonance (i.e. a guide to harmony), which I think is
more valuable than all the ABC "theory" in the world.  There really is no
other way to understand those things but to deal with the frequency ratios
and tonalities.  Anything else amounts to "you can play this chord before
this chord, and a lot of people find that sound interesting, or some people
like to play this chord before this chord, or this scale, or this key
change".  Beginning students have such a hard time understanding the ABC
theory precisely because it is arbitrary.

Wendy Carlos has some interesting commentary on Partch's contributions.
> She notes particularly that Partch's instruments were perhaps not the
> best designs for projecting harmonies based on just and other
> intonations (HP's instruments were mostly percussive, with not much
> sustain).

I never heard of her observations before, but this is one of the things
(note: one of) I can't stand about Partch's music.  Why would you devise a
system based on exact tuning of natural harmonics and then use nothing but
instruments with highly inharmonic timbres to realize it?

-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com