[LAU] Line noise

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 11:08:19 EDT 2007

On 10/20/07, Leslie P. Polzer <leslie.polzer at gmx.net> wrote:

> > Actually most (all?) DI-boxes I know aren't the right thing here, because they
> > convert line-/instrument-signals to mic-level with symmetric (balanced) XLR
> > connector.
>
> I found a bunch of DI boxes with asymmetrical outputs at a popular
> auction site.
>
> Guess I'll get me one of those.

Don't do that.  You want a box with an instrument input and a line
output.  I second Dave's suggestion for an M-Audio AudioBuddy.  I have
one and it works great (I've seen them as low as $60US).  It's a
small, cheap, two-channel mic-pre with instrument (a.k.a. DI) inputs
and line outputs (balanced, which should still work fine with the SB).

Many single-channel mic pres also have instrument/DI inputs, like
those ART tube units (as low as $30US).

A regular DI with output a low impedance mic level signal, which would
still not give you the output signal you want.