[LAU] Which tool to sample 8 audio channel at the same time?

Emiliano Grilli emillo at libero.it
Wed Oct 24 04:35:21 EDT 2007

Tuesday, 23 October 2007 alle 20:00:20, Frank Barknecht ha scritto:
> Hallo,
> Emiliano Grilli hat gesagt: // Emiliano Grilli wrote:
>
> > This if you don't want to disturb ardour, which needs a well tuned
> > system to run smoothly.
>
> I've found Ardour to run more smootly on my system than Audacity. In
> general I'd say, that Ardour used with the bigger blocksize of
> Audacity runs just as smoothly everywhere. (Personally I even believe
> Ardour is easier to use for multichannel editing than Audacity in
> general as Audacity made some "strange" design choices like not
> allowing non-continous regions in tracks and forces you to work with
> dummy silence parts everywhere which I find highly irritating. Others
> may not, of course, ymmv.)

Oh yes, ardour is the central application here... what I meant is that
if you use ardour you are forced (on linux, at least) to use jack, and
if you use jack with no realtime things aren't going to be good (in my
experience). So, ardour is without doubt the best multitrack application
out there, but jack is not so easy to get going with a standard
kernel/system (say an "out of the box" debian system). Maybe I have that
belief that's out of date and you can run jack perfectly with a vanilla
kernel, but I recently tried ubuntustudio (which has preemption in the
kernel but lacks ingo molnar's patches) and I had many xruns even with a
setting of 1024 for frames/period. But maybe it's my machine...

So, if the OP can run a rock solid jack server, ok... ardour is the
natural (and preferred) choice, but if he/she can't, then
arecord/ecasound can be a viable alternative that doesn't involve jack.

Speaking of audio editors, I don't use audacity very much too.. now I do
most of my daily editing with mhwaveedit, which seems to be the only one
that handles jack reliably and natively. Feature wise rezound is better
IMHO, but I can't seem to be able to use it with jack in a stable way
(lots of xruns..)

> Ciao

Cheers
--