[LAU] unable to set scheduling priority with rt kernel

Wed Oct 24 12:50:59 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 15:59 +0300, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> Hi doc, thanks for the guess.  sudo chrt does work, though.  I'm
> supposed to not need it with the rt-patched kernel, which allows
> non-root users to set high priorities.

Not exactly right. The rt-patched kernel (Ingo's patches) only optimizes
the max latency paths in the kernel. Other software is what allows
non-root users to use SCHED_FIFO scheduling. There are several options,
the current one is /etc/security/limits.conf through PAM, there are
others.

-- Fernando