[LAU] All i want for the holidays is a SPL Meter. Please help me choose a good one.

Bearcat M. Sandor HomeTheater at feline-soul.com
Fri Oct 26 23:46:57 EDT 2007

Folks,

When my mate asked me what I wanted for the holidays, i looked over at my
audio system and said "I want a sound pressure meter."

So i'm looking around and of course the price range runs from cheep Radio
Shack digital one to hundreds of dollars for professional Class 1 models.

I'd like to spend around $100 - $125 and get an accurate meter so i can adjust
my speaker positions, room treatments etc.

So i'd like accuracy to at least 1 db or more, a display that will give me 1
decimal place, a bar that will show me levels over time. I'd love to be able
to get the data in to my computer and have an gnu/linux program to display
it, but that's probably past the $125 mark. My speakers have a range of
22hz - 35 khz +-3 db so if i could detect that range that would be great, but
that's probably also over the $125 mark too.

Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot.

Bearcat M. Sandor