[LAU] [ANN] a2jmidid version 2 released

Nedko Arnaudov nedko at arnaudov.name
Sat Oct 27 15:12:58 EDT 2007

Dragan Noveski <perodog at gmx.net> writes:

> Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
>> a2jmidid is daemon for exposing legacy ALSA sequencer applications in
>> JACK MIDI system. It is based on jack-alsamidi-0.5 (jackd alsa seq midi
>> backend) by Dmitry Baikov. The main purpose is to ease usage of legacy,
>> not JACK-ified apps, in JACK MIDI enabled systems.
>>
>> New in this release is addition of configure script (autotools) that
>> enables compatibility with different JACK MIDI API variants.
>>
>> Planned features/improvements:
>>  * One JACK client per ALSA sequencer client
>>  * More control on what ports to bridge (currently bridging is fixed to
>>    non-hardware ports).
>>  * Real daemonization with log file, init.d script, etc.
>>
>> If someone wants to contribute please, contact me, or send patches, or
>> request inclusion (Gna! a2jmidid project). As usual, packagers are more
>> than welcome too.
>>
>> Homepage with screenshots: http://home.gna.org/a2jmidid/
>>
>> Tarball download: http://download.gna.org/a2jmidid/
>>
> hallo nedko, the v2 builds good here, but either there is something
> wrong or i am doing something wrong, but i do not get any sound out of
> a2j.
>
> what i am doing:
>
> -starting a2j
> -starting specimen or zynjacku(with zyn)
> -starting vkeybd
> -now connecting vkeybd from the a2j-midi-tab with the synth (specimen/zyn)
> -the synth is connected to alsa-audio, but plying with vkeybd - no sound.
>
> if i connect the same vkeybd with the same specimen via alsa-midi i
> can play specimen, or if i start jack-keyboard and connect to zyn, i
> also get the sound out of the machine.
> i did some experiments with muse too, but no success.
>
> reading this email, do you have a feeling that i am doing sth wrong?

Unfortunately I have no idea why it does not work at your computer. As
first step I'd try with some monitoring app connected to a2jmidid output
port. The two ones I know about are jack_mididump that I think comes
with jack itself and gmidimonitor (GTK app). Also zynjacku, unless
started with synth URL at command line, has MIDI indicator in upper
right corner.

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>