[LAU] Added E-Mu Midi1x1 adapter, now entire sound system doesn't work!

Clemens Ladisch cladisch at fastmail.net
Mon Oct 29 08:54:37 EDT 2007

david wrote:
> Yesterday it worked - could read and play MIDI through my keyboard, or
> fluidsynth, and play regular audio stuff.
>
> Today, when I started up the system, KDE tells me:
>
> > device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)

The USB device is the default sound card because its driver was loaded
before the driver for your main sound card.  The driver load order is
random and can change in successive boots.

Use the sound card configuration tool of your distribution to set a
fixed order that is used regardless of the driver load order.

HTH
Clemens