[LAU] unable to set scheduling priority with rt kernel

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 11:24:13 EDT 2007

On 10/25/07, Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 October 2007, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> > On 10/24/07, Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas at gmx.net> wrote:
> > > if you run
> > >
> > > sudo chrt -fp 70 `pidof "jackd"`
> > >
> > > as non root without using sudo
> > >
> > > chrt -fp 70 `pidof "jackd"`
> > >
> > > do you get an error?
> >
> > Why no I don't!  And it changes priority.  I swore it didn't work before
> > when I tried it.  I've just now added "session required
> > /lib/security/pam_limits.so" to /etc/pam.d/common-session, as others
> > suggested, maybe that did something?
> > So does that mean the -P flag can never set priority 70?  I got it from
> > your site!
>
> Well, if chrt works now without sudo, try running
>
> jackd -R -P 70 -d alsa ...
>
> again. It should work now, too..

Update: I just discovered that running jackd -R -P 70 -dalsa -P -p256 -n2
-r44100 as ROOT doesn't even set priority 70.  jackd then runs as a root
process with priority 20, according to both chrt and top.
Apparently my system is not able to run anything higher than 20 priority;
does this mean my kernel is misconfigured, or might it be something else?
-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com