[LAU] unable to set scheduling priority with rt kernel

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:04:05 EDT 2007

On 10/30/07, Lars Luthman <lars.luthman at gmail.com> wrote:

> With JACK output?
>
> From the Csound manual:
>
> "DO NOT use "--sched" if you are using JACK for audio output. JACK
> controls scheduling for the audio applications connected to it, and also
> tries to run at the highest possible priority. If the "--sched" flag is
> used, Csound and JACK will be competing rather than cooperating,
> resulting in extremely poor performance."

Hold up.

>From the exact same page of the Csound manual:

"An example of buffer settings for low latency on a fast system:

          jackd -d alsa -P -r 48000 -p 64 -n 4 -zt &
          csound -+rtaudio=jack -b 64 -B 256 [...]

 with real time scheduling (as root):

          jackd -R -P 90 -d alsa -P -r 48000 -p 64 -n 2 -zt &
          csound --sched=80,90,10 -d -+rtaudio=jack -b 64 -B 192 [...]"

So on the same page where it says DO NOT use --sched with jack, it says to
use --sched=N with jack.

If you look in the Csound manual under the commandline flags section, you
will see that --sched and --sched=N are NOT the same flag.
Thanks though for drawing my attention to it.

-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com