[LAU] Good mic for voice?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Oct 30 12:24:59 EDT 2007

william estrada wrote:

>    Looking for a good mic for a voice app. Currently using a cheap $10 Radio
> shack cassette mic, Model: 33-3019.  The volume is very low on both windozes
> and Linux.
>
>    I wondering if the Model: HG-M73 or their Model: AVL516 would be better?
>
>    Any suggestion?  Other sources?  Experiences?

There are several ways:

1. Get a cheap "USB mic". Already good suggestions in this thread.

2. Get a classic dynamic mic, such as a Shure SM57 (tried and true, very
sturdy, classic sound, multipurpose but good for voice). Then you either
need a sound card with a mic input, or...

3. ...also get a mic preamp. M-Audio makes a few cheap ones. Presonus
does too. I use StudioProjects VTB1, a tube / solid state hybrid, and
it's fine for me.

If you make the right choices, the quality should increase going from #1
to #3, but the price should increase too.

If you care more about sound quality, there's a #4 choice too: insert a
compressor between the mic preamp and the computer. The RNC1773 (a.k.a.
"Really Nice Compressor") provides an excellent performance/price ratio,
but other choices are available too if you do some research.

So there you have it. #1 is cheapest. #4 can get you pretty close to
studio quality if you make the correct choices of equipment.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/