[LAU] can't get sound in Qsampler...

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Wed Sep 5 04:08:10 EDT 2007

On Wed, September 5, 2007 01:23, Preston C. wrote:
> I am having trouble with qjackctl and Qsampler. I don't know how to
> work the connections in qjackctl, and I am not sure if Qsampler is setup
> correctly. Any help is very much appreciated. Here is what I get from
> Qsampler:

> --------------------------
> 20:17:24.628 Client connecting...
> 20:17:24.630 Server is starting...
> 20:17:24.630 linuxsampler
> 20:17:24.655 Server was started with PID=3623.
> lscp_client_create: cmd: connect: Connection refused
> LinuxSampler 0.4.0
> Copyright (C) 2003, 2004 by Benno Senoner and Christian Schoenebeck
> Copyright (C) 2005, 2006 Christian Schoenebeck
> Detected features: disabled at compile time
> Creating Sampler...OK
> Registered sampler engines: 'GIG'
> Registered MIDI input drivers: ALSA
> Registered audio output drivers: ALSA,JACK
> Starting LSCP network server (0.0.0.0:8888)...OK
> 20:17:27.871 Client connecting...
> 20:17:27.873 Client receive timeout is set to 1000 msec.
> 20:17:27.877 Client connected.
> 20:17:27.879 New session: "Untitled1".
> LinuxSampler initialization completed. :-)
> LSCPServer: Client connection established on socket:4.
> LSCPServer: Client connection established on socket:5.
> 20:17:30.756 New Channel setup...
> 20:17:44.549 Channel 0 added.
> 20:17:44.570 Channel 0 Audio driver: JACK.
> 20:17:44.597 Channel 0 MIDI driver: ALSA.
> 20:17:44.599 Channel 0 MIDI port: 0.
> 20:17:44.601 Channel 0 MIDI channel: 0.
> 20:17:44.852 Channel 0 Engine: GIG.
> 20:17:44.873 Channel 0 Instrument: "/home/Preston/Desktop/gig
> files/S1000 CDRom SteinwayD/PARTITION  A/VOLUME 001/32 MEG PIANO.gig" (0).
> JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]
> SSE2 detected
> Starting disk thread...OK
> SteinwayD/PARTITION  A/VOLUME 001/32 MEG PIANO.gig'...OK
> OK
> Caching initial samples...
> OK

it really looks like qsampler is now ready as a sample channel is setup
alright and the .gig file is loaded and cached in linuxsampler fine.

so let's go to qjackctl connections for the easier part ;)

on the audio tab you might see linuxsampler on the readable clients (left)
side. select it with one click. on the right side you must see the
alsa_pcm entry as a writable client. select it in turn with another click.
so what do you do now that you have selected both items that you wish to
connect? that's right you press the connect button and voilá :)

by this time linuxsampler (qsampler's engine) is connected to your
soundcard audio output speakers (or headphones, whatever).

now let's go deal with the midi stuff. you know that you'll have to tell
linuxsampler what notes to play, don't you? so midi is the way to do it
and alsa sequencer will do the inner plumbing here. so let's see on the
midi tab in qjackctl connections (nb. it should be the alsa tab on the
latest qjackctl versions >= 0.2.23).

check whether your midi controller keyboard shows up as a readable client
on the left. if its connected through usb it should be otherwise you'll
have to deal with midi hardware interface and virtual midi modules and
whatnot... forgetit atm. you may find vkeybd (virtual keyboard) a real
helper here. install and run if not already.

get back to qjackctl midi (alsa) connections. on the left you should see
virtual keyboard as a readable client. select it. on the right you might
see linuxsampler as a writable client. select it too. now you know what to
do don't you? yes, press connect.

by this time you already grasp all the greatest qjackctl secrets :)

so just click on some piano keys on the virtual keyboard and that's it...

hope you hear what you're after ;)

hth
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela