[LAU] How much does my new SB Extigy suck and why?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Sep 6 04:03:49 EDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, 5. September 2007 schrieb Bearcat M. Sandor:
> If you're hearing the same thing i am, then it can't just be the bit rate
> conversions. I'm thinking there is an exceptionally poor D/A converter in
> there in the first place.

I think it has to do with the converters (maybe both DA and resampling) but it
only seem to happen at higher volumes. So I am turning the volume down to 80%
on master and 80% on PCM and leave it there.

And on the sblive the converters for rear are better then the front ones,
because front (and line-in and mic-in connected at the board) are feed
through a ac97 while the rear-channels and all the external plugs on the
livedrive are through the emu10k1.

> Also, if you're hearing what i am, how can you stand it?

I don't use the full volume scale. And for professional use I do have two
external devices :-) (Tascam US-122 (anyone interested in buying it?) and a
Presonus FirePod)

> I'm asking all of these questions, not just because i am an audiophile
> snob, but because i want to learn as much as i can about this stuff.

Hey, if you are an audiophile snob, maybe I can sell you some
extra-super-duper extremely high quality cables(*)?

Sorry, was temporarily trapped in irony-mode for the last paragraph. :-)

Arnold

(*) Of course they are unshielded. Shielding on these class of cables costs
extra...
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---