[LAU] How much does my new SB Extigy suck and why?

Johannes Mario Ringheim jri at broadpark.no
Thu Sep 6 12:55:46 EDT 2007

Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
> Arnold,
>
> Strange that they'd use one set of drivers for the front and rear. Huh.  I try
> to keep my volume down at those levels too and it does seem to make a
> difference.
>
> Can you explain why we seem to have 2 "Master" sliders and 2 "Line-In"
> sliders?
>
> Strangely enough, i was so distressed by the sound yesterday that i took it
> out of the system and re-introduced my Nvidia chip-set ("Hi, Nvidia meet my
> Carver amp. Again."),  When i listened to it carefully it only sounded a
> little better, but more to the point the smoke damage was showing again with
> channel drop-outs.
>
> So i re-reintroduced the SB ("Hey SB meet my Carver amp. Again." Carver: "Will
> you quit talking to me?! I'm just trying to sit here an hum by myself"). I
> recompiled my kernel and alsa-libs and fired it up.  It actually sounded OK.
> Then i played a track through mplayer with a switch of -srate 48000 and it
> sounded better still.

Hmmm.... Now I think I recall something. It's rather vaige, but might be
a clue:

On the SBLive, the sound was awful (kinda like you describe it), after
I'd first install Linux. According to something I found on google, I had
to switch off some tone controller in the mixer. Not shure if it showes
up in the standard gnome/kde/etc mixers, but try with alsamixer or
alsamixergui to see all of the controls. As far as I remember it was a
switch with needed to be turned off, not a slidebar. And it had
something to do with tone control (bass/treble). The problem had to do
with the bass/treble being at max by default, as far as I recall.

Hope this can give you a clue..

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.org