[LAU] Advice for buying speakers

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Sep 7 09:24:40 EDT 2007

Hallo,
Leslie P. Polzer hat gesagt: // Leslie P. Polzer wrote:

> > Actually the internal amps are _way_ better:
> >
> > [...]
>
> Alright, I'm _so_ convinced now of the benefits of internal amps. ;)
>

> > If you want something cheaper than the Alesis (which are pretty good and even
> > superb in the price/benefit-scale), you can take a look at Edirols speakers.
>
> The Edirols *look* good. Do you know how they differ from Alesis' speakers?
> I guess their behaviour is not that strictly linear, but I could live with that.
> Anything else?
>
> Are the M-Audio ones any good?

No. ;)

Actually no idea, I've never heard them, and that's exactly what you
should try to do: Listen to some speakers in your price range, if
possible. Samson also makes some nice cheap ones (Resolv) and never
forget, duh, Behringer. Personally I'm very fond of my Tapco S-8
monitors.

One thing to keep in mind with active speakers budgetwise is, that you
also need something to control their volume. Either use a small mixing
desk like the Samson MDR6 or the Soundcraft Compact4 (which is very
nice!) or one of the smaller "volume knob" thingies like the C-control
by (again, sorry) Samson.

Ciao