[LAU] converting MIDI file format 0 to 1?

Alexandre Ratchov alex at caoua.org
Mon Sep 10 05:55:50 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 11:29:29PM -0400, Paul Coccoli wrote:
> Does anyone know how to convert a MIDI file from format 0 to 1?
> KeyKit produces the former, seq24 can apparently read the latter.  I
> want to get sequences I generate in KeyKit into seq24.
>
> A command line tool would be best, but any suggestions are welcome.

hi,

you can use midish. Just import the format 0 midi file and then
export it. This will generate a format 1 midi file with one "tempo
track" and one track per channel. Example:

$ rmidish
send EOF character (control-D) to quit
1> songimportsmf "sample.mid"
2> songexportsmf "sample-fmt1.mid"
3>

If you want to convert a lot of midi files then you can embed these
commands in a small shell script... let me know if you have
problems with it.

cheers,

-- Alexandre