[LAU] MIDI active sensing- USB midi and EvoMK461

Clemens Ladisch cladisch at fastmail.net
Wed Sep 12 04:46:42 EDT 2007

Simon Williams wrote:
> Interestingly, amidi --dump gives absolutely nothing unless I press some
> keys. So where are these active sensing messages aseqdump keeps getting?

Filtered out unless you add the -a option.  :)

> Here is what I got from the MK's own USB...
> 90 30 50
> 90 30 00
> 90 32 4C
> 90 32 00
>
> And here is what I got from the USB midi adapter...
> 90 30 50
>    30 00

The USB MIDI protocol doesn't allow runing status ...

>     00 32
>     4C 00

... and here is one zero byte too much.  Apparently, this device doesn't
conform to the USB MIDI specification.

Please uncomment the "#define DUMP_PACKETS" in line 58 or so of
sound/usb/usbmidi.c, recompile the snd-usb-audio driver, and show what
the driver writes to the system log when such note-on messages are
received.  (Warning: the driver will dump all packets, including those
containing active sensing messages.)

> Slightly OT: I would like to test this in windows, to prove that the
> device really is broken, but I can't get any sounds from it or my MK.
> Does anyone know of a free software synthesizer for windows which will
> play sounds from a midi instrument?

You should be able to use any sequencer to connect a MIDI input port to
Windows' built-in software synth.

Regards,
Clemens