[LAU] Programs which use midi control knobs/sliders

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 12 17:27:23 EDT 2007

I have the same exact keyboard controller.
It is a regular MIDI controller so any application that can somehow
use MIDI data, can make use of it.  I don't know what you mean by
"Windows" (I still have to open, close, clean my windows manually,
they are not yet MIDI capable) but in Linux, I have used it with a
number of applications.

In ZynAddSubFx you can control some of the sound characteristics (but
they seem to be hard-coded, I have not found a way of assigning MIDI
controls to any particular aspects), in fluidsynth as well you can
shape the soundfonts' sounds in some ways.  Not to mention that these
apps will also allow you to play notes with the keyboard.  AMsynth is
another example of a program that will let you play notes AND control
their characteristics with MIDI knobs and sliders.

Beyond that, you can assign various MIDI knobs and sliders to various
controls in ardour (mix, volumes, panning, effects etc), in om/ingen,
jack-rack (the newest version) for ladspa effects control.  You can
assign various MIDI controls to affect volume, pan(?) of your loops in
freewheeling.

In applications such as SuperCollider, Pd, CSound, you can program the
behaviour of the MIDI data in any way you want (and you could even use
your keyboard to control your toaster or coffee machine, if you're so
inclined).  This is particularly useful if you like to re-/synthesize
your own sounds or build your own effects.

The possibilities are endless (and there are many many apps I have not
mentioned) and I guarantee you that soon you will find that your
MK-461C does not have enough knobs and sliders and you will start
looking for something else to add to your rig.

I have not used the buttons on the thing, mind you, but it doesn't
seem like those buttons can be used outside of the synth, perhaps I
did not look hard enough.

Have fun, let us know how it goes.

./MiS