[LAU] Can aplaymidi access all MIDI channels?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Sep 15 10:48:45 EDT 2007

Ken Restivo writes:
> > Janina Sajka wrote:
> > >I can only seem to get aplaymidi to talk over MIDI channel 1. I see
> > >nothing about how to access the other 15 channels in the man pages for
> > >aplaymidi or aconnect. What am I missing? Thanks.
> > >

> Just a guess, but I'll bet that the MIDI *file* you are playing, has data on only one channel.

Well, it's a SATB hymn setting and timidity plays all four parts, howbeit with a bizarre
voice for the TB. aplaymidi is getting me only SA.

The current hardware settup has a controller keyboard going to the
computer, and the computer is driving a Roland xv5050. The computer
functions as midi through, in other words. I have no problem playing
the xv5050 over any channel from the controller, so I have to conclude aplaymidi is
only sending channel 1--which happens to have SA both via aplaymidi and
timidity.

> Try opening it up on seq24 and/or Rosegarden, to make sure.

The gui isn't an option for me, unless perhaps built with gtk2 widgets.
i guess I can learn to remap the channels, but it seems an alsa midi
player shouldn't be channel ignorant. I guess I'm astounded that that
might actually be the case.

Janina